Certain power tools can create a major safety hazard if not shut off properly before plugging them back into AC power. An angle grinder at full starting torque can become a heavy projectile if not secured properly by the operator. This customer wanted to offer a safer product as well as provide enhanced features such as variable speed, thermal overload protection, and the all-important restart prevention. A compact, variable select switch control was designed that prevents the motor from restarting when there is loss of power without switching the tool off.
Scope of Work – Angle Grinder
- Custom designed compact step/thumbwheel speed control for rugged grinder application, featuring restart prevention, soft start, thermal/over-heating shutoff
- Hardware, mechanical, software design
- UL, VDE testing and certification
- Universal motor control experience
- Compact design – speed/torque precise control with closed loop PID circuit
- ODM design